From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 2:10 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Jb magnets

My only experience with June Bugs--Connecticut, July 1952, guard duty
[keeping North Koreans from invading Hartford and other New England
spas], middle of the night. Something breached the perimeter, most
probably an opossum; sirens went off, lights blazed on. I was standing
under a porch light! War zone! June Bugs from as far away as Peoria
zeroed in on the light and, like the kamikaze pilots of a previous war,
dove suicidally into it... and, insect vision being what it was that
night, into me as well.

Sort of like being pelted with Milk Duds.

On Jul 10, 2006, at 2:17 PM, Zemuly Sanders wrote:

> I must say I have never had any damage to anything from what I call
> 'June Bugs.'  Are we talking abou tthe same insect?
> zem
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bonnie & Bill Morgan"
> <wmorgan972@ameritech.net>

Pussy
>> Willows were the next to go.  This year it will be the Blue Satin
>> Rose of
>> Sharon; again for more than one reason.
>>
>> The blue flowers were the attraction for me.  I knew I might be
>> taking a
>> chance because JBs loved my double ROS when I had it on the other
>> side of
>> the yard and they devoured the white ROS that was 10 feet from the
>> blue
>> one's placement.  I hoped though I could keep an eye on it.  However,

>> the
>> other two ROS never, ever gave me a single volunteer plant, but Blue
>> Satin
>> seeds like a maniac everywhere.  The other two ROS have been ripped
>> out and
>> now, with the arrival of swarms of JBs on this one, it's gonna be a
>> goner,
>> too.  Can't do much at the moment though as a Clematis is using it
for
>> support (it's about 7 feet now), but it is coming out this year.
>> ROS, never
>> again.
>>
>> Kitty
>> neIN, Zone 5