From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Theresa W.
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 5:39 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] But it's a DRY heat...

A swamp cooler is an evaporative air cooler.  It has a huge wicking
filter-thing that draws up water and a fan blows into it and the cooler air
goes into your home.  Clearly this is only helpful in dry areas (I'd never
heard of them either until I moved here).  Much cheaper to buy and operate
than central AC, but not as effective in cooling things off quickly.