they are already gone.  This isn't a great garden year for
lots of reasons.
Auralie

In a message dated 07/19/2006 6:42:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gossiper@sbcglobal.net writes:
Hope there wasn't any real damage from the Hail.... but with that size it is
not sounding good.

Donna

----- Original Message ----
From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:06:14 PM
Subject: [CHAT] weather

Our temperature only reached the low 90s today - that's hot enough for
me - but this afternoon a storm blew up that produced the heaviest hail
I can remember since we've lived here.  Chet went out and picked up a
hailstone the size of a ping-pong ball.  The storm didn't last long - about
20 minutes - but the temperature dropped from 92 degrees to 71 degrees
in that time.  It's still not a cool night - back up to 73 - but supposed to
be cooler tomorrow.  I haven't gone out to see how much damage the
hail did to plants, but it couldn't have been worse than the deer damage
we had last week.  The deer got behind the fish-line protection around
the front garden that has worked for the last five years  - they had to
stand on the doorstep and climb over a large planter - and completely
devoured all my hostas.  Sickening.  That's the only place I even try
to grow hostas, but I had quite a handsome stand earlier this year, and
won a blue ribbon at our flower show for my 'Love Pat.'  Oh well.
Auralie