From: james singer <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2006 7:12:01 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] weather

Before the house across the street sold to a family from the Ukraine,
it was owned by a woman whose daughter had been married to a Japanese
man. Every couple of years the Japanese man's parents would come to the
U.S. to see their grandchildren, and they would stay with the woman
across the street.

The first thing they did each time they came was plant vegetables. They
planted them everywhere--bok choy borders on the foundation beds,
bitter melons on the fences, stuff I didn't recognize among the shrubs.
Within a few weeks they would be cooking large but simple dinners for
half the neighborhood. It was really neat.

They didn't speak English; we didn't speak Japanese. But somehow or
another we "talked" to each other a lot during those dinners.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10