Re: Help with plant ID

I've not really grown many Clematis. I was just enamored of the large leaves. I probably don't have a spot for it. My first two, a purple-pink and a dark purple have grown superbly on a fence for over 15 yrs. My neglected Jackmani never flowers anymore. I had a fantastic Henryi years ago but it got shaded out. There's a little 3yr old Nelly Moser that put out a few blooms this year after finally reaching 2 ft in height - not enough sun there. And another nameless one that climbs the front porch uprights to latch on to the dogwood, but doesn't go very far after that. I got another Henryii to try to train into my south-facing redbud a few years ago and it's doing ok but always gets that darned Clematis wilt.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2006 11:03 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Help with plant ID

In a message dated 7/21/06 4:26:28 PM, kmrsy@comcast.net writes:

BTW - I really WANT this Clematis!

Kitty, it is a nice Clematis but certainly not my favorite. It does not
bloom as long as others. In fact of the 25-26 I have it is the shortest
blooming one. The leaves are quite large. It is a class 3 so I do cut it back
to the ground each spring. Mine has not bloomed yet.
Have you grown Betty Corning? This is my favorite. It was the first
one to bloom and is still in bloom. It is a viticella and this group is my
I just chkd and Blue Bird has MRB.