From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Judy Browning
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 12:13 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Plum harvest/recipes

Bonnie, I can't find the cookbook I used, but found some that look right in
my current favorite cookbooks. In Susan Purdy's "As Easy as Pie", there are
8 recipes.
From The New England Yankee Cookbook by Wolcott "Beach Plum Jelly"
"Wash plums that are red (not ripe), pickover & place in a kettle. Cover
with water, heat to scalding. Pour off & discard this water! Pour on fresh
hot water until you can see it, but fruit is not covered. Cook until fruit
is soft. Strain liquid through a jelly bag.
Measure. Add 1 cup sugar for each cup juice. Boil until jelly sheets from
the spoon (220 F). Skim and pour into glasses."
Refrigerate until use or process using approved home canning method for long
term storage.
"For jam, instead of straining liquid, press the fruit though a sieve, and
stir to keep it from sticking & burning while you boil it."
When we made jelly, we used dead ripe fruit and didn't mess with the water
change.
We canned the juice without the extra sugar. Then diluted it about half with
water & sweetened to taste as a refreshing drink.
For a sauce, I'd quarter & pit the plums and cook over low heat with just a
little water until the skin lifts off, then add a little sugar, vinegar (or
pineapple juice?) and whatever spices or herbs you like. Sweet & /or hot
peppers, onion, garlic, sweet corn, chopped nuts could be added for texture.

Maybe apples or berries if you want it for a dessert like a crisp or tart or
on ice cream.
hope this helps.
Judy B
z 6 Idaho 106 F or so since Friday, dry, dry, dry. Ate my first cherry
tomato yesterday. My brother made an arbor of string & sticks & it's covered
in pole beans. Easy picking & pretty! I'm jealous.