RE: fungi

Can you give a little more information as there are so many families that
contain mushrooms with red or orange caps?  For example, are there gills?
If so what color?  With gills, the best way to begin the ID is to get a
spore print.  Place a cap on a piece of paper, dark if the gills are white
or cream, and place a glass over the cap.  Soon you will have a spore print
the color of which helps to narrow the families.

Are the gills free or do they extend down the stipe?  Does the stipe set in
the ground with little filaments around the base or does it have a cup
(volva) around the end?

Where does the mushroom grow?  Grass, wood (directly on the wood?), sand,

There are several bright orange capped mushrooms in the Amanita family,
some are nonpoisonous but since the family has so many that are, I just
leave this group alone.

Hygrophorus also has many with red & orange caps. The distinguishing thing
is the gills which are thick, waxy, and attached down the stalk...the waxy
feeling is easy to detect.  None of this family is poisonous.

Russulaceae has some red and orange caps.  The cap is usually brittle and
dry.  These mushrooms are IDed by the latex which can be seen by cutting
the gills or upper stipe.  There are some poisonous species in this group
so you have to be careful.

This is just the beginning since most of the family contain at least one
orange or reddish capped species.