Re: Recipe source

Bonnie, I think that same producer attempted to test every one of their cows with USDA tests, but USDA refused to sell them the kits. I think their argument was that it would give KC a marketing edge over other companies if they proved all their meat was safe. So? Their price is higher and if people want to pay for that safety seal, it should be ok. Remember the arsenic in the water in Montana or Wyoming? The President said it (or the the people there) weren't important enough to clean it up. That's what we call Administration.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 6:39 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Recipe source

I've eliminated beef due to the mad cow disease. According to some people
I know connected to the medical profession we had someone die of it in
Knoxville but no news on it. I decided to eliminate when reading about the
Kansas City beef producer whose major customer was Japan. When the first
of the mad cow diseased cattle was disclosed, Japan closed imports from the
U.S. This producer offered to use the Japanese and European testing
methods but our administration wouldn't allow it. I couldn't understand
why especially since our refusal impacted so many business people. Until I
am sure things are safe, I'm not eating the stuff.

Testing for Mad Cow Disease to Be Cut
U.S. Says It Will Monitor 110 Cattle a Day Instead of 1,000
Associated Press, Friday, July 21, 2006; A08

The Agriculture Department said yesterday that it is cutting its testing
for mad cow disease by about 90 percent, drawing protests from consumer

The current testing level -- 1,000 each day -- reflects the heightened
concern that followed the discovery of the disease in a U.S. cow in
December 2003.

Since then, tests have turned up two more cases of the disease, also known
as bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or BSE. The government says there may
be a handful of undetected cases.

"It's time that our surveillance efforts reflect what we now know is a
very, very low level of BSE in the United States," Agriculture Secretary
Mike Johanns said. "There is no significant BSE problem in the United
States, and after all of this surveillance, I am able to say there never

Critics said now is not the time to scale back on the testing, which costs
the government about $1 million per week.

"It surely will not encourage consumers in the U.S. or Japan to rush to the
store to buy more beef," said Carol Tucker Foreman, food-policy director
for Consumer Federation of America.

A second group, Consumers Union, advocates testing every slaughtered animal.

The current level of testing covers about 1 percent of the 35 million
cattle slaughtered annually. Beginning around late August, the level will
be about 110 tests per day.

Johanns's comments were applauded by industry groups such as the National
Cattlemen's Beef Association.

It noted that 110 tests per day is significantly higher than what the World
Organization for Animal Health calls for.

Johanns said he hopes the reduction will not affect negotiations on
resuming beef trade with Japan, which has pushed for at least 1,000 tests a

Japan was a huge consumer of U.S. beef before the first American case of
mad cow disease.

) 2006 The Washington Post Company