OT - more food

Since we are on the subject of food I have something I've been curious
about. My stepfather taught me to make a macaroni and cheese dish that used
tomato juice not milk. No one I've ever asked has ever heard of making it
that way (and most of them go "eeeuuuewww"). Is it a regional dish from
someplace, or just something that isn't all that popular?
I don't like mac & cheese any other way, actually, but now that I don't eat
much pasta I can't have my favorite either, at least not often.