To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 9:31 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Early American Pumpkin Butter --- great for gifts

Ok, I'll bite-  what is the story of the woman cutting off the end of
the roast??

Theresa

P.S.  I bought a small upright freezer and  put it in my garage just to
put frozen goodies in.  And actually,  I really like the flavor and
texture of frozen fruit better than canned anyway.

Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:
The sugar added is going to make it acid but the problem is that it's so
thick you can't be sure the sugar is evenly distributed. Same thing with
pressure processing, it is too thick to know that the contents of the jar
have been evenly heated.
I look at it like driving. Chances are when I drive a car I am not going to
get into an accident. But I wear my seat belt because something could
happen, and why take an unnecessary risk when I don't have to? You could
process the pumpkin stuff and probably everything would be okay...but if it
weren't, the consequences are pretty nasty. So you freeze it and avoid the
risk without appreciable inconvenience.
There are some people who scoff at the whole thing and figure if grandma did
it and didn't die, so can they. I don't eat anything they've put up - the
reward isn't worth the risk, even if it is small.
A really good book that goes into details about the WHY of canning, as
opposed to just "do this step", is Putting Food By. Things make so much more
sense when you know the reasoning behind it. Like the story of the woman
cutting off the end of the roast.

Cyndi