To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 6:49 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] was heat to the Miami Valley/ now electric bill & job..

Well- the electric bill came today- and indeed our record setting hot streak does come at a price. $144 for this month's electricity. The month before (and our norm during most summer months) was $60. Yuck! But, on a much more positive note- my husband was offered a very nice position today, which he accepted and will start in 2 weeks. So yeah!!! 13 months and 5 days of job hunting finally paid off! Thank God!

Bonnie & Bill Morgan wrote:
I don't know how the planners do it, but it seems like they schedule the
Dayton Air Show for the hottest day of the year every time. It just seems to
draw the heat. They've done it again. Now why would you plan something
that was going to be on asphalt or black top with metal roofed and walled
buildings for the hottest day of the year?, I keep asking myself. In the
past, the Dayton Celtic Festival downtown was on a different weekend and is
usually a lot of fun. It's usually pretty hot, but not record setting.
This year they put it opposite the Dayton Air Show...the hottest day of the
year. Now it's bad enough that the heat indices are over 100 F. I think
folks were surprised the crowds were down for the Celtic Fest. DUH! (Ever
tried to dance in wool on the hottest day of the year? I'm surprised the
entertainment teams showed up!) Knowing how the weather was going to be, DH
and I declined to go to the Celtic Fest or the Dayton Air Show. Maybe we're
just getting old, but we couldn't see the sense of going out to get roasted
and pay highly for the privilege when we could stay home and be more
comfortable for free.
We're to have a heat index continuing for the next three days above 100 F.
It will only be 91-98 actual temp, but with very high humidity. I have so
much I want to do outside, but I'll have to do it before 10:00am every day
where it is shaded in the yard. Even the dogs don't want to stay out and
play. They have been getting their business done in record time since the
return of the blast furnace.

Donna, how are you doing in Chicago with the heat? They aren't predicting
any relief until Thursday or Friday here.
I don't envy anyone who deals with these temps on a regular basis.
Especially not you, Pam, without the benefit of rain!!!

Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)