Re: OT: FW: more texas wildlife

Sounds like the wildlife rescue lady that we hooked up with when we
volunteered to animal rescue. Way funny. That woman had fawns in her
kitchen, a pet skunk in her house and her racoon had a revolving door.

Theresa W <tchessie1@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  I just had to share this- and it is all true!!

Theresa

Subject: more texas wildlife

Another night in the Austin suburbs... While I was on the phone with my
former Pennsylvania neighbor (where wildlife was fairly common), something
the size of a dog walked across my front steps and into the bushes. Upon
inspection with my current neighbor, we discovered it was a porcupine. Yes,
a porcupine... in my bushes just outside my front door.

After half a dozen calls to animal control folks not interested in helping,
an animal rescue staffer offered to pick him up if I could put him in a box.
A box? I called another neighbor for assistance and we literally chase
this porcupine from house to house until Karl is able to coax him into the
dog crate.

When the animal rescue girl shows up, she does not have a crate for this
wild animal home she is planning to take to her home. She asks us if it is
lactating. What? Mind you, it is now almost 9:30 and pitch dark. How are
we supposed to tell if it is lactating exactly? So we get a huge computer
box, coax this wild thing into the box and wildlife girl regales us with
wildlife rescue stories. After I tell her about the mountain lion behind
our fence in August and the possum we chased off of our deck, she tells us
how great possums are as pets. My neighbor's child is fascinated and then
this woman literally pulls a baby possum out of her bra. She told us it is
a warm, safe spot for the baby possum. Seriously? As we are getting ready
to put the box into the back of her pickup, she looks horrified and told us
that it has to ride up front with her. After she urges us to call and check
on the porcupine tomorrow (sure thing), the big
gateway-box-carrying-a-porcupine and the crazy wildlife rescue girl ride
away happily ever after.

PS- I should add that Duane will be meeting the porcupine on this email as
well, as he is in California this week.

[...]

Jesse R. Bell