From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Jesse Bell
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:02 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Tomatoes!

O.K. - my 2 cents worth and experiment with tomatoes this year. I grew
the BEST tomatoes when I lived in Kansas City, and since then, I cannot
seem to grow them for many reasons (Texas - too hot, too many
grasshoppers that loved them, Oklahoma - those tomato worms either eat
them to the ground in one day while I'm at work (grrrrr) or the weather
is so crazy, they rot or dry up. SO - this year I bought two of those
"hang-upside-down" planters from Gardeners Supply. I ordered the special
dirt too. They hang on my back porch where the rain won't soak them
(this year that has been a blessing), I can control the water they get,
and they get plenty of sunshine, but shade too. So far - the cut worms
have not been able to find them either. Haven't seen any spider webs on
them. My other tomatoes are in large pots and have either rotted from
too much rain, or the cut worms got them, OR the blossom end rot has
them. So far, my hand-upside-down planters are the best ones so far.

  Here is the link for the planter:

Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:
  I grow several varieties of cherry tomatoes in pots in my breezeway,
and they all do much better than those in the regular garden - either
the small ones or the standard size. The cherries are beginning to
ripen and are so heavily loaded with fruit that some branches are
breaking - helped by the squirrels that climb into the pots to get
up to the bird-feeder. They do take a lot of water - sometimes
twice a day in really hot weather - but I have grown them this way
for years.
The standard size in my garden are just beginning to set fruit. I
never expect to have ripe tomatoes before the first of August, but
the very cool nights earlier this summer - it was 41 degrees on
July 2 - inhibited the setting of fruit. Even the local farm market
does not have ripe tomatoes yet this summer.

In a message dated 07/12/2007 11:08:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,