RE: I'm considering...

What about using easy perennials with groundcover that will require little
maintence?  You might not have all the blooms but if you do a variety of
leaf shape and color, the result could be interesting.  I have several beds
that I have done that way to avoid lots of maintence...I have had to water
this year as I have added things but I, too, am looking to ways to avoid
much watering in the future and am starting to collect and use things that
are more drought tolerant.

Many bulb/rhizone plants do not like lots of water and you could have
flowering bulbs in spring, summer and fall and they can poke up through
groundcover.  I forget...what's your zone?