Re: More harvesting

Wow, what a lot of beans you must plant!
I don't have a big operation like yours, but in my small patch I
keep beans going all summer.  In fact, I have already pulled out
and replanted a couple of rows.  I just plant double rows about
five or six feet long - depending on how the space works out
with other things.  Then when they slow down and are only
giving me a few beans a day, out they come and a new row
goes in.  In the spring, I start by planting a new batch every
ten days or so until the first ones start bearing.  I   have had
beans to eat and/or give away for about three weeks now.  We
ate the last of the early ones today, and by tomorrow the next
set will be ready to pick.  Incidentally, I have developed a new
bean dish that we are enjoying.  You know, after a week or so
of beans, you are looking for something new to do with them.
I place the beans in boiling water for a few minutes - just until
they turn bright green and some of them make a popping sound.
Then I drain the beans and while they are draining, I melt a bit
of butter in the pan and add a diced portobella mushroom.  Over
low heat, I let the mushroom begin to give up its juices, then
return the beans to the pan for a few minutes, season with salt
and pepper.  This is very simple and quick, and we find it a
nice change from plain beans.  I'm sure other mushrooms would
do as well, but portobellas are the quickest and easiest to peel
and prepare.
Auralie

In a message dated 07/17/2007 11:11:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,