Re: Watering...

I feel your pain Jim. I've got the hose just running on my impatiens under the Magnolia as we speak. More to keep them alive than anything. Supposed to be 96 today. I dread my water bill. All I do is drag hoses. ----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 3:18 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Watering...

We're probably 20 inches behind in average annual rainfall so far this year. Everyday NOAA predicts 50-percent chance; everyday nada. So, everyday it's out with the hoses, standing around in the 90-degree, bright-sun weather watering stuff--and cursing the rain god for forsaking us. All of the tomatoes are gone, except two that benefit from the misters in the lathhouse. The peppers--the main beneficiaries of the hose brigade--are hanging on and continue to set fruit, despite looking somewhat bedraggled. The collards and romaine [surprise!] seem to like the hot and look fine, but the arugula is in it's last throes. Last week, I did major surgery on the basil and froze three halt pints of pesto. The plant seems to be recovering in spite of the heat and is flush with new leaves. The "basilico" basil need similar attention--maybe later this week.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10