Re: this am in the garden...

I've never had snails or slugs eat Crinums. Are you sure you don't have Nekkid Ladies (Lycoris squamigera) ? Mine are blooming now. Sans foliage of course.

Sounds like you've got your hands full, but with lots of good things.

Glad the appraisal was agreeable. What a big hurdle!

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2007 6:21 PM
Subject: [CHAT] this am in the garden...

This morning before it got to be 100 degrees I trimmed back roses, so hopefully they'll bloom again, pulled some weeds, pruned several crazy branches that had grown on the top of my tangelo and lemon trees, considered for the 8 zillionth time the fact that I really should have mulched this spring.... I also tossed about a dozen snails into the street (my own special kind of death for these voracious eaters!), and did finally get around to sprinkling Sluggo for some poor half eater plants. My crinum lily had no leaves at all thanks to the stupid snails, but it does have a lovely bloom stalk. I dosed it extra well with Sluggo, so hopefully now it will have a chance to have leaves again. I need to remove some plants again, so I'm starting a list in my head of stuff to dig up and give away in fall.... I do have some lovely things blooming- fuschia, streptocarpus, crocosmia, rose of sharon, random lilies, salvias of various kinds, rudbekia, a lovely red penstemon, moonbeam coreopsis, roses, asclepias, california fuschia, the tail end of the chaste tree, and various grasses. In the veggie garden I now have a million cherry tomatoes, and gave away a bunch of large ones too. Also pimento and salsa peppers. I still have a few blueberries coming ripe, and the french colombard grape is ripe too- very tangy though!!
In all a nice day in the garden.
On a non-gardening note- we had our house appraised and I'm please the the result and my ex indicated that he would likely accept the appraisal too- so that is a really big thing that I won't have to worry about anymore. The price fell within the range we both expected, but at the low end.

Theresa