A preserving weekend, and a bit of garden chat

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: A preserving weekend, and a bit of garden chat
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:00:37 -0700

Aside from a two-hour hike on Sunday morning, I was preserving stuff all
weekend. I thought I did pretty good Saturday making curried zucchini
soup - it takes nine pounds of zucchini and makes seven quarts of soup.
I picked every zucchini out there to get nine pounds, I was so happy,
but of course by Sunday night I had a whole bagful again, they are on my
desk now waiting for me to shop them around. I also managed another 10
pints of green beans and noticed a few flowers and new growth on the
bean plants. That's kind of unusual so I did not turn off their water,
I'll see if they want to live.  Sunday I made more salsa, and debated
about whether I wanted to start making chili sauce. It takes a few hours
so I decided to wait for next weekend and I made rose jelly instead. I
filled the dehydrator with tomatoes too.
Decided I had better spray the tomatoes for thrips but my expensive
Italian-made copper sprayer is missing the spray tip! I found that out a
couple weeks ago and now we are trying to find a replacement. The
company told my husband they might be able to pull the tip off a damaged
one they were going to send back to the manufacturer, so we're anxiously
waiting to see if they actually do that. I love the sprayer, husband
gave it to me a couple years ago and I have never had problems with it
unlike any other we've bought - they all break within six months. I dug
one of the old ones out of the shed, it will spray although it leaks at
the lever you push to release the spray, so your hand gets wet as you
hold it. Yuck.
Husband finished pulling out all the rosemary in front of the teahouse
garden and I must admit the space looks a lot neater although empty. He
is suggesting we leave it that way but he is not remembering the bearded
iris rhizomes that are dormant at the moment, plus there are a number of
daffodils I planted before he built the Japanese teahouse, so it
actually isn't plant-less. If it should ever happen that I get a moment
to plant something, I'm thinking about that ornamental blue fescue.
Although he says that doesn't look good in winter...I admit I don't
exactly remember what it looks like in winter but I think it doesn't
change much. I briefly considered artemisia but decided that would look
just as messy as the rosemary after a while. So I am still considering
and since I have not even touched the front yard since early spring,
maybe leaving it empty and him weeding it now and again is the way to
I was going to get a quote from a couple of gardening services just to
mow the front and maybe to do some weeding, but the tenant moved out of
our rental house so we'll have to wait till there's money coming in
again. I really dithered over the gardener idea as you can imagine but
my sister convinced me to give it a try instead of being unhappy all the
time that nothing is getting done. After all if I'm willing to yank
everything out and put in xeriscaping, how upset could I be if a
gardener chopped down some perennial they didn't recognize. So it's
worth talking to a couple places anyway.