RE: OT - If I can get through this - update

Sounds like it went pretty well, really. How are fixes for the tree
damage coming along?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 11:12 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT - If I can get through this - update

Well, once more I got through it.  Things have held together pretty
My #1 son showed up Friday, a day earlier than expected, but #2 son
didn't come that day as he had said he would.  I was expecting him to
bring his son and stepson - both about 20, and his two teen-aged
stepdaughters, so had cooked a huge hamburger and pasta casserole.
There's still a lot of it left, though folks have snacked on it all
weekend.  #3 son and family showed up Friday night, so I moved the
chicken-salad and gazpacho I had planned for the next night up to Friday
Saturday, the party at Teatown went very well though it got off to a
slow start because #1 son's wife, daughter and boy-friend who flown in
from Seattle, didn't get in until 3:30 AM, and #2 son somehow got lost
with all his crew and ended up going halfway down to the city - you'd
think he had never been here before, instead of growing up here.
Anyway, Reka, my Thai friend and Claire, a "floral stylist" friend made
a terrific presentation.  The Teatown staff had been most helpful and
had sent a large bunch of flowers, but Claire had really gone overboard,
as did Reka.  There were about 40 people, a good number of whom took the
various tours Chet had arranged for. There had been rain in the morning,
but the skies cleared and there was a good breeze to relieve the
humidity and 80 degree temperature.
Then, since we had cancelled the party at the house, we had only family
for dinner and the evening.  Claire stopped by, but didn't stay long.
Somehow the house seemed about as full as it could be with the 16 family
Thank goodness, they all stayed pretty civil.  The brothers had not been
together since #3 son's wedding 11 years ago, and #2 son has a different
wife and family since then, so there was some reacquainting to be done.
The two youngest grandchildren - Connor at 5 and Cate at 2, kept people
amused.  My older granddaughter and one of #2 son's stepdaughters are
both ardent horsewomen, as are their mothers, and they had not met
before, so that kept one sector pretty well occupied.  I stayed in the
kitchen most of the time, so don't really know what went on except that
noone came to blows though there were some loud voices a few times.  I
put food on as quickly as I could, because that always seems to improve
their tempers.
The amount of food they consumed was impressive.  I still had a large
bowl of chicken-avocado salad; another of potato salad; and I had
astonished my favorite butcher, from whom I never buy beef, by asking
for a 5-lb. rib-eye roast.  I really expected to have leftovers for
hash.  There wasn't enough left to make a roast-beef sandwich.  I had to
hustle around and refill the large salad bowl, and then they demolished
an ice-cream cake from Carvel.
I must say I heaved a huge sigh of relief when they all finally left.  I
was glad to see each of them, but the whole thing has been a bit much,
especially with the other events of the week.
We are supposed to go down to Cape May tomorrow for a couple of days.
#2 son and family have taken a condo there for the week.  I'd rather
just stay home and try to get things back on track here, but Chet is
keen to go. I love the beach, but do sunburn badly.  I find 2-year-old
Cate is a charmer, but 5-year-old Connor is a terror. It's not trendy to
discipline children these days, it seems.I don't really feel that
several days in a condo with them will be relaxing.
Thanks for listening to all my ramblings.
In a message dated 07/30/2007 10:04:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,