Re: green beans

Yep- blanch and freeze is what we always did growing up with beans (and most veggies for that matter). The trick is to go from boiling then directly into the icebath to stop the cooking!

DP wrote:

Do you have a local food bank? Call around. Somebody needs them, I'm sure. We've had people posting on Freecycle offering to pick, not just pick up. They're hungry.

The best way I've found is to blanch them for about 3 minutes in boiling water (time from when the water returns to a boil. Tip - use a large pot of water and a small number of beans so that they don't overcook. Chill in ice water, drain, then freeze on cookie sheets. When they're frozen, dump them into freezer bags. When frozen on the cookie sheets, they don't stick together and you can take out as many as you like.

They're not mush this way - but tender and crisp. They can even be marinated and used in a salad.

So who knows how to preserve them? Can I wash and freeze? Cook first? Will they be all mush when defrosted?

I have never had this problem, ususally on package of seeds produces
just enough for us to eat....granted, it is a daily part of the diet,
but .....this year, there is no way we could eat all that is out there.

Dont suggest I give them away. I work with single guys who eat out and
if I have tons, so do the neighbors. The senior/community center closed
down due to the economy, so I can't unload them there either.