Re: Cicada Killer Wasps

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Cicada Killer Wasps
  • From: "Pam Evans" <gardenqueen@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 16:19:49 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=pqYuE2VZuvL+FJEpcgU/usOYWYywcmzR5HI8cIeCa0E=; b=duoBLaXEWOMuRjoYNJ3Qwx7yE4Kz7+yJUp01hqZlY0t4Xp9qxc6FUfeSuOT2gRpwN7 pNvziR+AW/Cn1dtfKXz01S3x99W+9Ia5Wh1yp/93gi2xrgpeuP9PRdpsKncCI5rHwDzY rp5KGIrXb7xQL3A+N5aYtbxMorvQU14xZygm0=

hmmmm - scary looking.  guess i'd better keep my eyes open if they're in
Houston.  I have lots of cicadas so they'd be happy hunting here.   Like all
stinging bugs (except skeeters) - I leave them alone and they leave me
alone.  Best policy for me, especially since I'm allergic to bee/wasp stings
and have no intention of giving up my garden.

On 7/18/08, TeichFauna@aol.com <TeichFauna@aol.com> wrote:
> Positive!  At the time we were taking the Master Gardener  course.  Our
> neighbor killed one (not sure if it was the one that chased  him or
> another)  and
> asked us to have it identified by the Entomology prof.  giving the class
> the
> following week.  The professor identified it as a  Cicada killer, and that
> it
> was not uncommon for the female to become aggressive  if she felt she or
> her
> nest to be threatened.
> Noreen
> zone 9
> Texas Gulf Coast
> In a message dated 7/18/2008 1:11:47 PM Central Daylight Time,
> pulis@mindspring.com writes:
> Noreen,
> Was your friend chased by a Cicada Killer or by a  European Giant Hornet?
> They look quite a bit alike, but the European  Giants can be very
> aggressive.
> They're also attracted to light, and can  keep a security light on all
> night.
> The European Giant Hornets make nests  in trees, usually, though sometimes
> in
> barns and houses.  Cicada  Killers are solitary ground nesters.
> **************Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for
> FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

Pam Evans
Kemp TX