Re: Manual irrigation

A few. May require you to rethink what you know and fear about moving water.

When last I lived in California there was a chain of micro-irrigation supplies/stores called "Drip" something [I think, but I forget] in the central valley. They may be long since gone, but their premise was so basic that I'm sure someone has picked up the torch if they are, indeed, gone. Peaceful Valley, for example, has lots of the same stuff in the irrigation section of its catalog.

Most of the irrigation systems centered on using 5/8-inch-OD plastic tubing [100 feet costs about $10 at Lowe's or HD; and it's UV resistant, so it [like John Prine's illegal smile] lasts a long while] and fittings to connect that tubing to itself, hose bibs, or PVC pipe-- so the possibilities are limitless almost and low cost. There are many pumps that can be inserted in these systems--some require hard wiring, others hand cranking, some are designed to be turned by an electric drill. What is important to keep in mind when thinking about a pump of any kind is it's going to be moving waste water, so an adequate filtration/flushing device is also necessary.