Re: Quiet (maybe??)

We get big ones here, too. Up to 4 inches long. Huge. Every morning when we do the dog poop patrol, we plop the slugs in the same bag and put it in the garbage. Incidentally, I think the banana slug--which is 4-5 inches long and yellowish--is the mascot of UC Santa Cruz.

On Jul 25, 2008, at 4:01 PM, Kitty wrote:

I have slugs everywhere, this year they were even in the lawn. That would be too much salt. But it sounds like fun - I can just hear them, "Help me, I'm melting, I'm mellllllting!" They deserve it.
I'll give it a shot.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Quiet (maybe??)

I go out early on damp mornings with a salt shaker.  They
congregate around the containers in the breezeway so I
just knock them off into the gravel pathway and salt them
down.  They just melt.  Pretty revolting, but effective.  The
salt helps keep weeds down in the walkway, too - though I
doubt I use enough salt to make a difference.  It just takes
a sprinkle.

In a message dated 7/25/2008 6:25:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,