RE: Zzzz

Miserably hot here over the last couple weeks. Nothing out of the
ordinary really, although we do tend to take notice when it starts
hitting 110+ for a few days in a row. At work they are asking us to turn
off the lights and upping the thermostats (finally! I shouldn't have to
wear a sweater inside in summer).
No action in the garden. Too hot for the tomatoes to be setting fruit
but we are picking some ripe ones. Not very many but considering how
late I planted and how sickly they were as seedlings, it's ok. Husband's
experiment - planting them in buried containers to try and keep water
near their roots - is actually doing better than I expected. I don't
know how much water he's using compared to what I'm using, after looking
at my "leaky hose" while the water's on I think mine are not getting
enough. Anyway interesting enough to try again next year with some
modifications. Still not getting any zucchini, that's a disappointment,
but I should pick basil this week, I have enough to freeze for many
servings of pesto. The front yard is pretty much static this time of
year, I'm still getting gaillardia blooming and the roses are just
starting to grow for their 3rd round of blossoms. Of course I should get
out there and weed.
We took our horses to the mountains again last weekend. It's
thunderstorm season up there and we were two hours from camp when the
skies opened up. I finally got to use my riding slicker. Found out
putting the hood up over my helmet means I can't turn my head, and if I
leave the hood down and try to put it up after it's been raining for a
while I get a lot of water down the back of my neck. Well...I don't get
a lot of experience with rain...live and learn!

Cyndi