Re: Russian Sage
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Russian Sage
  • From: Patricia Dickson <pdickson53@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 07:06:30 -0500

Jesse,
Russian sage is one of the few plants thriving in our drought this year.
The lavender and it are in full bloom. I have it in 4 different places.
I plant lavender with gravel in the hole but haven't Russian sage but it
doesn't get much care or water where it is growing. It tends to layer
itself and start a new plant. I dig up those starts and spread them to
new places. It does best in full sun and I cut it to the ground every
spring. Very hardy here in zone 7b!

I love to plant it with rudbeckia or one is behind a Tiger Eye Sumac. It
is one plant I can't do without. This year I have decided no more
hostas, hydrangeas, or anything that loves water and moist air. Even my
oak leaf hydrangeas are croaking this year. I lost a pine tree that
shaded them some and along with wind and heat have cooked them . This is
the year I keep thinking it is time to start looking for condos with a
patio garden! 2 acres of dragging hoses in this drought is impossible!
My huge leyland cypress trees have bagworms horrible but my Arizona
Cypress can not be beat. The gray foliage is fabulous and nothing seems
to bother it. My "David" Phlox is just now coming into bloom. Fantastic!

I better get outside and start water somewhere!!

sent from my i-phone
 Patricia Dickson