What's happening to my tree?
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: What's happening to my tree?
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:35:01 -0700

One of my silk trees (albizia julibrissin) leafed out as normal this
spring and now suddenly large chunks of it are dying off, one by one,
until now almost the whole thing has dead foliage hanging off it. It was
like one-quarter of the tree just died, with the rest fine; then the
next quarter died and so on. It's been about a month. I'm wondering if
this is mimosa vascular wilt. Anyone seen that before and can describe
it?
I don't see any wounds on the parts above ground and there doesn't seem
to be a lot of gopher or squirrel holes nearby, although this season has
been truly amazing for the amount of critters. But if they were eating
the roots I would think the whole tree would wilt at once (plus it's a
pretty big tree, 15 years old) so I'm thinking it's disease.
The defoliated branches are trying to put forth new growth, so I'm
waiting to see what happens.

Cyndi