Re: zone map

> From: Island Jim <jsinger@igc.org>
> need to add salt tolerance to the mix, marge. i think this is sort
of what
> horticopia tries to do plant by plant. the problem i have with it
is
> becoming that numerically oriented to my environment; i couldn't
tell you
> what the average summer humidity is around here other than "high."
----------

That is another factor I hadn't thought about, not living near the
ocean.  Humidity could simply be high, medium or low and be useful -
nobody but meteorologists has any clue what degree of humidity is
happening.

Actually, it's not so much day humidity and temps that limit plants,
but night humidity and temps.  There are numerous plants who simply
can't "breathe" at night in hot, humid climates and just sort of
peter out.

Much of the midwest - esp. the northern part - has hot, humid days,
but the nights cool off more than nights do from where I am south,
which means a lot to some plants and should be noted IMO in any
factoring of plant hardiness.  It ain't so much the cold winters that
kill some plants as the hot, humid summer nights.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade