RE: Houttuynia cordata, smoke bush

Long Island, NY
Zone 7

Good morning all!

I've been trying to remove Houttuynia cordata (Chameleon Vine) from
several gardens beds for years!  The first few years it behaved itself,
so I gave it to all my gardening friends!  I'm surprised that they still
speak to me!  I have spent hours sifting the soil where it's growing,
but every little root hair seems to return as a new plant!  In one bed I
ruthlessly pull 3/4 of it out a few times a season.

Don't plant it!  It grows as aggressively in full shade as well as full
sun.  The only way that I appreciate it is as a bouquet partially
submerged in one of my water gardens.  It will do quite well without

I think it's flower is somewhat like a dogwood and quite pretty.  I have
two forms of the beast growing in my gardens. One is mostly green with a
red blush and the other is the red/cream/green form.  The leaves have an
awful odor.

If you'd like to see a photo let me know.

I'm thinking of planting a smoke bush to replace a large privet that I
had removed.  I was thinking of Cotinus 'Royal Purple'.  Will it keep
its color all season?  How big can I expect it to grow?  I've read very
differing info on the net!

We're still not in our house post-fire, but the carpeting is starting
this morning, so I took a day off from work.