From: Kitty <kmrsy@earthlink.net>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: Re: [CHAT] Coreopsis Ruby
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:10:17 -0500 (EST)

Jesse
That may be a difference in hardiness zones. I have seen a tickseed
seedling on occasion, but not often, and I grow several different types.
The prairie type, C.tripteris, seems to spread more by runners than
seed. The lanceleaf and other garden types with regular leaves like
Domino and Sunray throw off the rare seedling, and the threadleaf types
like C.verticillata and C.rosea seem also to just spread out from their
own base; I haven't seen seedlings - or perhaps didn't recognize them.

Though Limerock Ruby and Sweet Dreams appear to be related, they come
from different threadleaf parentage - one to verticillata and the other
to rosea, (still, both are hybrids and other species are involved in
their heritage, but each of these is primarily, or most closely, related
to one or the other species)

My Sweet Dreams plants from last year are coming back sparsely, but they
did survive, whereas neither of my Rubies show any sign of ever having
been there at all, other than some perlite from their original pot still
in the planting hole. And no seedlings from either of them at all, nor
from other threadleafs - C.vert. Moonbeam, or C.rosea.

Lucky you.

Kitty