Re: Clematis & Rocks

Could be true. Most examples of rock mulch I have seen were nowhere near 2" in depth. Guess I'd need to see a controlled study of some sort.
Cathy
On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 02:30 PM, Kitty wrote:

Cathy, you mentioned that small landscape rocks retained heat over
clematis roots. Interestingly, I just saw the following in a recent
issue of FG. It was in the southwest report, which doesn't apply to you,
but if it's the case there, it should be good for you too.

"...Borrowing an ancient technique from the Anaszi, I use 2 inch deep
gravel mulch to collect rainwater, to keep the soil cool and moist, and
to encourage native perennials to reseed."

Admittedly, clematis is no sw native perennial, but cool & moist is cool
& moist. It might not work for your clematis, but it could be helpful
for other situations.

Kitty

-------Original Message-------
From: Kitty <kmrsy@earthlink.net>
Sent: 06/25/03 01:15 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: Re: Re: [CHAT] TClothier site

Yes Donna, that's what we were looking for. Chris ought to create a link
for it on hort.net.

Interestingly, I found my Fritillaria radeanna listed:
"Fritillaria imperialis, lanceolata, meleagris, michailovskyi,
pallidiflora, persica, pontica, pudica, pyrenaica, raddeana, and
tubiformis , Sow at Max. 5B:C (41B:F), germination irregular, often
several months"

But...Most, including Deno say seed germs best if sown immediately. The
Frit book I just got said the seeds will be ready something like
midsummer. How am I going to sow the seeds at a max of 41 F? In the
fridge? Probably, I guess. Still it's wonderful to find specific
information on this species, since some frits respond one way and others
another way.

Kitty

Kitty