Re: was native bees/now habitats and ponds

Theresa, a toad will lay it's eggs in any kind of water, even a puddle, since
it's transition time from egg to toad is so short.  So if you would like to
attract only toads, then any size "pond" will do.  Even a not too shallow bird
bath top that is on the ground.

If you want to attract frogs, then you will have to go for an actual "pond".
It need not be too large either, but has to be larger than a birdbath.  The
transition period from egg to frog can be anywhere from months to years......as
in the Bullfrog which is 2 years.  So they instinctively look for water that
is guaranteed to be there for the duration.

Another hint.....if you have sloping sides, or make it easier for the
frogs/toads to get in and out of the water, then they will use your pond more.  If
the sides are too high, and have rim (of slate for instance) that sticks over
the top of the water, and no water plants or rocks, etc. for the amphibians to
climb up on to hop out, then they will not use your water.  I have rescued
several toads from buckets, etc. because they were unable to get out.

The saying is "if you do a habitat, they will come".  In other words, you get
the good with the bad.  I personally have not had a problem with snakes,
racoons, etc. but many do.  I do have red eared sliders that will "travel" to my
ponds.  Also recently an alligator was captured making it's way from the bayou
areas across our subdivision.....everyone teases me saying it was on its way
also....but I rather doubt this...at least I hope so.  LOL

Having a water garden with the sound of water will entice birds, amphibians,
etc. that you would not otherwise see in your garden.  Not to mention that it
will be more inviting for you as well, believe it or not.  It's so soothing.
Definitely a must in my book....can't imagine a garden without water.
Go for it!!!!!!!!

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast