RE: Tennessee Gardener Article/Now Wildlife

AWWWWW....how sweet!! When I lived in Kansas City we had a pair of fox
that traveled through the neighborhood too. Loved them. They lived under
an elderly couples back porch. They came out early in the morning and
right before the sun went down. And I've never seen Guineas mate either
until this year. Ours finally matured and it's the funniest thing I've
ever seen. They are such STRANGE looking fowl anyway...like something
from Jurasic Park...but to watch them chase each other around the house
3-4 times then fly up in the air and body-slam each other and mock fight
was a real eye opener. One of the females has a nest with 20 eggs on it.
Hope they hatch.

Jess

Lynda Young <lyoung@grindertaber.com> wrote:
Bonnie, you'd enjoy our newest neighborhood clown. We have a red fox in
the area who thinks he's a dog. He's not at all shy and doesn't
hesitate to try to engage our dog when we're walking. My Johnboy is a
150 lb. creature of undefinable heritage who's a real sweetheart and
would never hurt another animal - the fox must sense that. It will
prance along with us at the woods edge 'barking' and darting around
trying to instigate a game of chase. We woke up the other morning to
find him sitting outside our bedroom window watching for signs of life -
like "Hey, y'all get up and let that big red dog come out to play".
He's regularly waiting at the top of the drive at 5 am - he knows the
walk schedule.

Our neighbors have a small lab who was seen at real play with the fox
recently - typical dog play - lunging, chasing in circles, mock
growling. They would play until they got hot, lie around panting a few
minutes, then begin again. No actual contact - but definitely sustained
play.

We were beginning to wonder if the fox was just lonely, but saw him a
few days ago with his mate and five kits (is that the right term?)
frolicking in a clearing across the road.

Very interesting behavior from a really lovely little animal.

Lynda
Zone 7 - West TN