Re: Spring Gardening

> From: Donna <justme@prairieinet.net>
> Marge- how lavender? Now you have me wondering..... I always
thought
> they were not red enough, but figured the sun was bleaching it out
here
> and I have never had a problem with flopping.
----------

More like this:

http://www.gartendatenbank.de/imgs/sspec.jpg

But, keep in mind that all of these go through a series of color
changes with the deep brick red color actually occurring when the
flowers have gone past.  All the heads start out greenish and then
gradually take on color.  Some of my S. spectabile don't even get
this bright a pink; really stay very lavender pink in a faint sort of
way, but I have these plants growing in quite deep shade; under
Azaleas and fighting Pachysandra - been there for years and years and
bloom every year, but the shade may affect color.

Well, then sun may be the answer to flopping; and I shall never get
past that one!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade