Strybing plant sale- by luck!

Hi all-

Well I took my test this morning.  Not too bad- we'll see how the score is
in a few weeks.  I didn't make it over to the Oakland farmer's marker, so I
don't know if DF made it or not (or how his daughter is).  But....My husband
wanted to go to the planetarium and aquarium in Golden Gate park. So, on the
way into the park, trying to find both of the above, we came across Strybing
garden and they were having a PLANT SALE (big huge sign on their front
gate).  So I said STOP! We have to go in.  So I now have more plants that I
don't know where I am going to put them!  I got a kiwi (female- I'll have to
order a compatible male) that has lovely red stems and very green leaves.
Does get edible fruit too!  I got 2 more salvia varieties (saliva patens-
has lovely large vivid blue fowers, and "jean's purple passion"- has similar
sized intense purple flowers).  My husband picked out a collection of
alpines and dwark conifers to make a trough garden.  He also picked up a
handful of succulents- 'because they are more interesting' than regular
plants.  Finally, he fell in love with an Adenium obesum (desert rose) which
amazed me as he was more than happy to fork over $25 for it.  Now it will be
my challenge to keep the most expensive plant I've ever owned alive! The
walk throught the arboretum was lovely also, of course.

Turns out that the aquarium is closed and they are doing all kinds of
construction on something- so you can' get to the planetarium.  So... we
when to the conservatory instead.  I have wanted to visit since they finally
finished reconstructing it last year and opened it to the public again.  It
is gorgeous.  Each room has a different climate, amazing specimen plants
(including a 100 year old philodendron), orchids, umpteen potted tropicals,
a watergarden, cloud garden etc.  It's hard to imagine that some insane
businessman many years ago bought the conservatory as a KIT- it was shipped
over in wooden crates.  The poor guy died before it was built!

here's a link if you want to see where we were today:
http://www.conservatoryofflowers.org/

Theresa
Sac, CA