From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Kitty
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2004 2:38 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] now sunblock- was-Air Layering now weather...

Socks.  I bought a pair of medium weight, white ankle socks, 75% cotton,
25% nylon.  I cut the toe at the toe seam and pulled them up.  They're
the perfect length to cover my entire forearm.  The cotton allows for
breathability, the nylon helps keep them snug so they don't fall down.
They don't feel hot, either, and they aren't at all cumbersome.  They
wash up easily and don't unravel.  I put one application of SPF50 on to
start, allow a few minutes to dry, then pull on the socks.  Never
reapplied sunscreen, though I worked outside in sun most of the day, 3
days running.  No sunburn, but best of all, no little raised bumps on my
arms.  In the past, even with shorter exposure time and repeated
applications of sunscreen, I would get those bumps that itched and hurt
and the only thing to take them down was a prescription ointment.  Since
I no longer have insurance I was worried about what I'd do when the
ointment ran out.

If you have skinny arms you may have to search for skinnier socks,
perhaps children's knee-his.  Bigger arms might take a men's sock.  But
I'm sure there's something that work for everyone.  Admittedly, most
people don't have this peculiar sensitivity that I have.  My most
endangered area was my forearms.  Long sleeved shirts are awkward,
bulky, hot.  This works for me.