What happened to spring?

First we had weeks of cold, dank, cloudy weather but not enough rain.
Now we are dumped right into beastly hot, humid stuff with still not
enough rain.

The cold, late spring resulted in the best display of daffodils I can
remember - a full two months of blooms instead of having them all
bloom in ten days as they do some years.  However, this sudden
heat has forced all my peonies out at once, and a brief but intense
shower yesterday knocked the petals off most of them.  Because
of the heat, they were floppier, with weaker stems than usual.  My
favorite 'Gay Paree' was spectacular for two days - had 27 blooms
open at once - but now it's about gone.

What is blooming spectacularly around here is the Kousa Dogwoods.
The native Cornus florida didn't do well this spring.  They aren't too
healthy anyway since the past drought years.  We are just about the
edge of their hardiness zone.  But the Kousas are blooming as
heavily as I can ever remember - not just mine, but all around the
area.  This is also a good year for the native Mountain Laurel - Kalmia
latifolia.  Around here people neglect it because it grows wild, but in
my mind it is one of the handsomest plants going.

The vegetable garden is not making me happy this year. Someone
ate the tops off my peas when they were about 6 inches high.  The
poor things are trying to branch out and produce, but now that it's
turned hot they are languishing.  The biggest problem I have in the
vegetable garden is lack of self-discipline.  I just can't bring myself
to weed out the bushels of 'Johnny-Jump-Ups'  (Viola tricolor) that
grow like a weed. I guess, in fact, they actually are a weed -
or would be to some people.  I have made myself pull out any that
were exactly where I needed to plant something else, but there are
still far too many.  I love their cheerful faces, but it does not make
for a neat and orderly garden.  But then, neat and orderly is not
exactly my style, anyway.