RE: butterfly bush

Monarchs are host dependent on Swamp Milkweed.... They may flutter about
other plants, but they have to consume a lot of milkweed leaves while in the
caterpillar stage. Do you have a lot of swamp milkweed? Did you see
caterpillar with bright stripes? If not, guessing they are a different but
similar butterfly.