Re: Lost Kittens

People never cease to amaze me with their callousness and stupidity.
----- Original Message ----- From: <mlrasmus@rockwellcollins.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 11:48 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Lost Kittens

Yesterday morning as I was hauling things to the car to go to Mom's, I saw
these two itty bitty kittens come charging through my neighbors chain link
fence! My neighbor doesn't have cats, so I spent a hour going door to
door, trying to find out who they belonged to. Of course no one was home
at 10:00 on a Monday morning. I put up signs in the post office and
convenience store. I couldn't just leave them loose, so I took them to the
local Vet in town and asked if he would keep them a day or two to give me
more time to find the owner. He hemmed and hawed around, talking about
distemper shots and worming but at last he gave in and agreed to keep them
in a separate room in my cat carrier. When I got home last night, I made
up 100 flyers and went door to door asking people to get the word out. My
next door neighbor wasn't home yet (where I'd first seen the kittens), but
by the time I got done distributing the flyers and talking to people 2 and
a half hours later, she was home.

Turns out her daughter brought home a box of kittens and had been keeping
them in the garage. She was able to find homes for some of them, but not
these two. Somehow they got out into the back yard AND NO ONE EVEN CHECKED
TO SEE THAT THEY WERE MISSING! I'll tell you, when I found out they
belonged to the next door neighbors, I was fit to be tied. They just
figured that someone would come along and give them a home, AND DIDN'T EVEN
LOOK FOR THEM OR CALL THE VET!!!! I was livid. I told her where they were
and that she needed to go pick them up the next morning. I also asked what
she was going to do with them. She said she had a farm north of town and
would take them there. When I stopped at the Vet at 8AM this morning, they
were still there. Grrrrrrr.
Small Town Iowa, zone4b
.....where some people are stupid.