From: David Franzman [mailto: dfranzma@pacbell.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 20:01:22 -0700
Subject: Re: [CHAT] butterfly bush

Hi Donna<br><br>Well we do get Monarchs here and yes we have plenty of
milkweed. I wish I <br>could take a picture of these guys...well I guess
I could but... In either <br>case like I said they seem smaller than the

    http://www.atouchofthetropics.net<br>-----

Original Message ----- <br>From: "Donna" <gossiper@sbcglobal.net><br>To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:58 PM<br>Subject:
Swamp Milkweed.... They may flutter about<br>> other plants, but they
have to consume a lot of milkweed leaves while in <br>> the<br>>
caterpillar stage. Do you have a lot of swamp milkweed? Did you see<br>>
caterpillar with bright stripes? If not, guessing they are a different
folks...how are ya?<br>>><br>>> Hey I planted a Buddleaiaosn something
or other. Sorry but it's like<br>>> budleai...hmmm, well

anyway common name butterfly bush. It's about 10'<br>>> high<br>>> now
and 4' across. It has hundreds of beautiful purple spikes of <br>>>
flowers.<br>>> I frankly forgot that it was called the butterfly bush
until my lovely<br>>> wife<br>>> Linda called me at one of the markets
and told me that this bush is being<br>>> completely invaded by Monarch
butterflies. When I got home she was right<br>>> there must be a hundred
or so of the little guys all swarming all over<br>>> this<br>>> plant.
Love it! However, I was talking to an MG today about Hibs and I<br>>>
mentioned the butterflies and she seems to think they are Pink Ladies
and<br>>> not Monarchs. I had noticed that these seem smaller than
Monarchs but <br>>> the<br>>> coloring is awfully close. Apparently Pink
Ladies appear before <br>>> Monarchs?<br>>> In either case they're

    http://www.atouchofthetropics.net<br>>><br>>>