Re: this and that

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] this and that
  • From: "Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center" 4042N15@nationalhearing.com
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:03:05 -0600

For Andrea and Ceres, and anyone else interested, I'll list the AAS2006
winners below.  I tried to access them online, but they won't post them -
even in the protected area - until August.  Descriptions are a bit
shortened - I'm a slow typist - but I didn't leave anything of value out.

New Category: Cool Season Bedding Plant Award Winner
Diascia integerimma  'Diamonte Coral Rose' F1
The first F1 hybrid diascia - improved for early flowering, branching habit,
flower production, and length of bloom.  Flowers within 60-70 days.  Height
8-10 in.  Spread: 18 in, perfect for mixed containers where cascading is
desired, or as a low edging plant in sun.  One-inch rosy-coral blooms
produced in spikes on all sides of plant. Frost tolerant plant can be
literally covered with blooms.

Bedding Plant Award Winner
Dianthus interspecific 'Supra Purple' F1
Early bloom and exceptional performance.  This interspecific cross results
in hybrid vigor for improved heat tolerance and prolific bloom.    The 1.5
inch single purple flowers [brochure pic looks more fushia/magenta to me]
are lacy with highly fringed petals.  In full sun reaches 12 in tall
w/upright bouquet habit, spreading 10 in.  Long flowering period.  From seed
to bloom is 10-12 weeks.

Bedding Plant Award Winner
Nicotiana x sanderae 'Perfume Deep Purple' F1
Delicate evening fragrance, bred for scent and deep color.  The single, 2in,
star-shaped flowers are produced in abundance.  Height: can reach 20 inches
and spread 15-18 inches in full sun. Readily adapts to containers and
semi-shade planting.  Seed and plants will be available at garden centers.

Flower Award Winner
Capsicum annuum 'Black Pearl'
Unique ornamental pepper w/pure black leaves when grown in sun  Small,
black, shiny peppers born upright on the plant are similar to pearls.  Young
plants have gren leaves when grown indoors but turn black in sun.  Vigorous
plant is heat tolerant, grows to 18 inches, spread 12-16 inches.  No serious
disease or insect problems.  Peppers are edible but fiery hot.

Flower Award Winner
Salvia farinacea 'Evolution'
New color! The 6-7 inch spikes are violet, distinctly different from blue.
Medium height annual reaching 16-24 in tall and spread of 16-19 inches.
Minimal maintenance. In fertile soil, irrigation is all that is needed for
consistent flowering.   Colorado tests indicate drought tolerant.
Undemanding with few disease or pest problems.

Flower Award Winner
Zinnia elegans 'Zowie! Yellow Flame'  F1
This begins a new class of semi-tall zinnias with a novel bicolor pattern.
Each 3-4 in semi-double bloom contains scarlet/rose center with yellow petal
edges a combo that is uniformly intense like a yellow flame Flowers in 8-10
weeks from sowing.  Adapts well to larger containers.  In a sunny garden
mature plants reach 24-29 inches, spread 26-27 inches.