Re: old post on vines strangling trees

Noreen, twining vines, like Hall's honeysuckle, can strangle a young
tree if they get going strong as they climb by twining around and
around it.  I've seen saplings with honeysuckle embedded in their
bark so far you couldn't get it out.  If the vine gets thick enough
while the tree is young, it can't expand as it grows (the tree) and
it can die.

Vines that climb by holdfasts won't strangle a tree, but, as Kitty
said, they can eventually shade it out - depending on the tree and
the vine.  Your fig ivy (Ficus pumila?) would have to work really
hard to hurt a mature silver maple.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs