insect problem

From the Teatown Nature Center's plant sale this spring my DH brought me a
nice little plant that had caught his eye - the tag said "Curry Plant" and in
fine
print Helichrysum angustifolium.  I potted it up in a nice blue pot and it
began
to grow rapidly into  pretty accent in my container garden.  Then about a week
ago I noticed that the tips seemed to be wilted.  On looking closer I found
that
each growing tip, of which there were many, seemed to be wrapped in a web.
Further inspection found half-inch-long black worms inside the webs.  The
foliage did not appear eaten - just wrapped in webs.  I carefully cut out
every
one I could find and isolated the plant in a shady place, gave it some
fertilizer
and hoped for the best.  Within a couple of days it was putting out new growth
and again looking good.  Then another couple of days the webs appeared
again.  Same routine.  This morning I found another web in the plant - but
so far only one.  Nothing like this has appeared on any other plant in a
rather large massed planting.  Slugs are doing bad things, and raccoons,
but nothing like these worm webs.  I don't like to use any insecticide
because of the large number of birds and chipmunks, to say nothing of
my cats, that frequent the area.  Do any of you knowledgable people know
what this is?  Is it something specific to Helichrysum?  Other plants from
the same plant sale show no signs of this.  I hate to just throw the plant
out, but maybe I should cut my losses before it spreads to other plants...
Auralie