Re: hum...now sad...

Well, Cathy, you surely came to the right place to vent. I am so sad to hear about Jason's death. All my cats are members of the family. I have a lovely cemetery with monuments to all cats who have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. We (my granddaughters and I) have elaborate funerals for them with 'words' and flowers. Often the girls have written poems or letters to the departed, which also go into the graves. My pet cemetery is a very special place.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 10:18 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] hum...now sad...

Hard to get motivated to do anything. One of my cats, Jason, died today. Thursday about 5AM, he woke us with terrific yowling from under our bed. Finally got him out from there and he was writhing on the floor alternately yowling and panting. Got him to the vets (thought, being a male that it might be a urinary tract thing, but the UA was essentially negative) and while there, we noticed that his head was turning to the side and his eyes were moving involuntarily back and fourth. The vet said he thought either toxin exposure or a neurological problem and kept him for IV fluids, antibiotics, corticosteroids, and tests. Liver studies were negative, but over the next two days he continued to exhibit neurologic symptoms which I would describe as "seizure-like". This afternoon, he was dead. Vet says that the most likely cause was either a tumor or some other central nervous system lesion.
I have been crying on and off ever since. DH is dealing with it in his own way, getting involve in "projects". Unfortunately, he is not up to giving me support. I feel so silly, as I have never reacted like this to a pet's death before. I guess it is because as an empty nester, Jason became a surrogate child. He was our only indoor- outdoor cat, and I have never known a cat to act so much like a dog. He wanted us to be out with him and whenever I would garden, Jason would come and lie down right where I was working! He would come when called, purring with tail held high and follow us around the yard. He was a friend to every one (except dogs) and was a pretty inept hunter... but. so proud of himself when he caught a vole, mouse, or (once) a snake.
Have to go tomorrow to the vet to decide on his disposition ... dreading it. Sorry to be such a downer, but I had to vent.