To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 2:42 PM
Subject: [CHAT] birdfood

I heard quite a bit of chatter outside my window the other day, so I had to
check. Mom and Dad Cardinal were showing the youngster the ropes. They
were checking out the birdbath which I keep filled with fresh water. It
made me think I should check the bird feeder. (I don't worry about that
much in summer, but still..) This feeder holds a lot of seed so I don't
fill it often. It was EMPTY!

So, just now I picked up a 10# bag of Oil of Sunflower, everybody's
favorite. But while looking for it at WalMart I found "Trail Mix" birdfood
and other mixes. They sounded yummy even from my perspective...and then I
saw it...the last ingredient was artificial berry flavoring, artificial
cherry flavoring. Since when do birds require artificial flavorings?
What's wrong with the ingredients in these blends that the birds need the
flavor enhanced?

Kitty