From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 4:27 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Rain

Hi, Bonnie. Well, for starters, here's what the lychee tree looks like:
http://snipurl.com/r80z [that picture is of only a small section of the
tree; the whole thing looks like that] Fruit needs to be a bit darker red to
pick; probably next week. I may try canning some of them.

Avocado has 100 or more fruits this year. This variety keeps on the tree for
a limited period--and has practically no shelf life once picked; this is our
biggest worry at the moment because they should start to ripen in mid June.

"Tommy Atkins" mango has, maybe, 50-60 fruits. These are those very colorful
mangos one sees in the supermarket--bright red, yellow, and green all at
once. Quality is only so-so [slight resinous taste if not fully ripe, flesh
tends to be fibrous]. These are great for pies and cobblers and for making
Indian pickles, but they are not worth much in the ex-supermarket market. So
we will probably ripen fully them in the garage then can and/or pickle them.
Our "Carrie" and "Alanpur Banishan" mangos, both premium varieties, are very
young and will have maybe a dozen fruits altogether--no problem disposing of
those!

The black sapote--a subtropical relative of the persimmon--must have had
1,000 blooms this year; absolutely a mass of flowers that were swarmed daily
by bumble bees. The ground under the tree is now black with dead flowers. I
don't know what the pollination rate has been, but if it;s as high as 1
percent, we could have a problem.

But what Squints and I spent some time examining was the two sugar apples
and the atemoya [a cross between a sugar apple and a cherimoya].
These may be the most delicious fruits that will grow in the Lower 48.
Many of the flowers on the three trees have yet to open, but of those that
have opened, many have set. It's still early, so how many make it to
maturity is questionable.

On Jun 1, 2006, at 2:22 PM, Bonnie & Bill Morgan wrote:

> Is that a bad thing, Jim?  A farmer's market may give you some exotic
> plant money for something special.  What all is shaping up in your
> fruit trees?

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W