Re: coming up for air

Auralie, I admire you so with all your experience. Our garden club is 'getting closer' to putting on a show. I don't know how National has put up with us for never doing it. I am so ignorant where shows are concerned, and I know more about plants than most of the members, who would rather eat than garden.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 9:06 PM
Subject: [CHAT] coming up for air

Well, we've survived just about the most intensive spring I can
remember. This weekend my club put on a flower show which
has come off very well. My club is very small - only 12 active
members - but we regularly put on award-winning shows every
year. This year the manager of Lasdon Parks & Arboretum, where
we usually meet, asked us to put on our show this weekend
because he wanted to be able to say the place was already
booked if someone wanted to rent it for a wedding, which he
detests. It was not a good time for a show, but we felt we should
oblige, since we don't have to pay for the space, and good places
are hard to come by. Anyway, one of our members who lost her
husband in January took on the project - I was so glad for her to
have this as a distraction, though it was not the show I would have
chosen to put on. It has turned out very well, and the evaluators
have told us to prepare a book of evidence for another state and
possibly national award. We produced 106 horticulture entries,
including a special section on hostas with 34 entries. Pretty fine.
I only achieved 9 blue ribbons and a couple of Awards of Merit,
and only a second award on my design, but the important thing
is that it is a really good show.

But this follows closely on my last weekend which we spent in
Manhattan with youngest son from Colorado, his two children
aged 10 months and 3 1/2 years, wife, and other mother-in-law.
Imagine all this in a city hotel. We stayed at the Princeton Club
which is a bit more relaxed than most hotels, but still not the ideal
venue. We saw two Broadway shows, Wicked, and Spelling Bee.
The parents took turns babysitting, since they wanted the m-i-l to
'experience' the city. She had never been here before. In fact, my
d-i-l has only been here a couple of times, so isn't really familiar with
the city. Among other things we took in the Staten Island Ferry, a horse-
carriage ride in Central Park, the Metropolitan Museum, church on
Sunday at St. Thomas Episcopal on Fifth Avenue where the music
is sensational, and the kids visited the Intrepid (aircraft carrier museum)
while we were at church. Things worked out well, but I am exhausted.

In addition to that, I have an indexing job with a short deadline. I will
make it work, but my garden is really suffering. The month of May
was mostly cool and overcast, but ended with a couple of really hot
days. Now we have rain - at last - and it's cool again. Oh well. I hope
next week I will be able to catch up on the garden before I have to
go to Ithaca for a State Garden Club meeting.