Re: urgh! Planting day.

I am somewhat of a garden writer myself, and sometimes I can never figure out where something like that gets started... then keeps out there in circulation. If you were a nursery owner would you want everyone dumping pots, putting the plants back in, as you go through the nursery checking plants of interest to you? Can you imagine what the display area looked like if everyone coming through did that? Roots of the plants would not be crazy about that kind of handling either.
I once read something similar about orchids and I was new to purchasing an orchid. Was told to check the tightness of root systems in a pot... should not be able to pull the system out of a container. I was going to check for tightens on a container and the guy almost threw me out of his booth at the show. He was quite upset, did not know where the hey I had heard such....
I know I as a nursery person would not want gardeners disturbing the root system of the plants in containers in my display area.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

I've read "nursery buying tips" articles in magazines, that tell you to loosen the plant, tip it out of the container to check the roots before buying. This may seem like a hassle or embarrassing thing to do, but it's a good idea.