To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2006 7:10 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] companions

Hello Bonnie,
Japanese shade grass has become a favorite of mine over some years now. A gardening friend send me the species quite a few years back before I knew anything about them. Transplanted a small start to the garden up in raised bed at the junction of two paths. Sure picked the right spot. Just great arching over the edge of the paths. Those grasses have wonderful form to them.
The aureola I have up on the hillside where there are several starts transplanted among the rocks coming down the hill. The concept is to have it look like golden flowing water. Just about any large leafed goes well with it. The native ginger (Asarum canadense) is one of my favorites.
Right now I am working with "All Gold" hakone grass. Going to use the blackest heuchera I can find around here for companions.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

On Thursday, I bought I Plumpago that had a flower similar to a blue
hydrangea and bought it for my DH who loves that color blue. While at
the nursery, I found an Autumn Fern to bring home to experiment with.
After putting in my hours at the Trial Garden, a friend and I went
through the shade garden to see if anything grabbed our fancies. We saw
a Japanese forest grass (Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola') that might look
very good with the Autumn Fern and would be more unusual.

Bonnie Zone 7/7 ETN