Re: companions

Which Indigofera Donna? My I. kirilowii is going gangbusters. I think you lost one a few years back.
I always loved looking at Roslyn's offerings but cringed when placing an order and I only ordered from them if they were the only supplier. No matter what I ordered, shrubs or perennials, there was always some loss. Damage from very poor packaging, root rot, poor specimens. Not every item, but always something in every order.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2006 8:00 AM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] companions

Sounds like another great nursery is leaving us.

I just bought Indigofera but the purple one. So far it
is doing ok, but will have to see how it takes my

--- Chris Petersen <chris@widom-assoc.com> wrote:

Dear All,

Heuchera 'Obsidian' has proven to be a nice
companion to Japanese painted
ferns as well. A newly acquired heuchera that I
adore is H. 'Vesuvius'.  It
has burgundy foliage and deep pink blooms, and
appears to be very

Chris, I've been potting up Japanese honewort
(Cryptotaenia japonica
forma atropurpurea) this afternoon. It does have
great chocolate-hued
foliage and makes a nice accent to many plants.
What do you do when it
blooms? I've cut the plant back hard as it is
difficult to remove all the
spent bloom. I have hundreds of plants where it has
seeded in. Eventually,
I'll just compost it when I get tired of filling
quart pots!

I have bought some interesting plants at Roslyn
Nursery recently.  They are
unfortunately closing due to the owner's health.
They had a 50% off sale. I
got some nice viburnums, V. 'Red Feather'(Arrowwood
with blue berries), V.
'Michael Dodge' (yellow berries), and V. 'Park
Harvest' (European Cranberry
with yellow foliage). I bought a bunch of shrubs
that I'd never heard of
such as Adina rubella, Ceanothus pallidus 'Marie
Simon' and Indigofera

Then today, I went to Farmingdale University's
Garden Festival and I was
able to pick up a huge pot of Dianella
'Variegata'(Flax lily).  It has
iris-like variegated leaves.  I've never grown it,
but I'm looking forward
to giving it a try!  I also got Salvia turkestanica
which is a biennial with
large lavender/white bracts.

I've been too busy to write much lately, but I have
been following the posts
about Mr. Kitty and Jim's bees with anticipation.

Someday I'll write about my other nursery purchases.

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York
 Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)

To sign-off this list, send email to