To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Inside Bon Vivant Nursery

Like your misting system... Looks a lot like mine :)

On Jun 12, 2006, at 4:01 PM, Christopher P. Lindsey wrote:

You've all probably read my nursery trials and tribulations in amusement,
boredom, or annoyance over the past few months.

I'm here to make sure that it continues. :)

Since I didn't have enough room (or sun) in the back for my plants,
I ended up using the flat roof over my garage. I installed three
long storage tables and built a framework for two of them out of PVC,
covered them with shadecloth, installed a misting system over the top,
and then connected it all to a manifold that's controlled by my computer.

It's pretty much done now, so I'm torturing you even further by putting
some photos online:

Here's the first framework covered with shadecloth:

The second one was the same height until today; I needed to add another
foot since the coneflowers were growing through it:

The third shelves don't have any shadecloth yet, but will probably
get some:

The first two shelves are on a timer-based watering system, but the
third one is still watered by hand. I left an opening for it in the
manifold though:

I should add that the pipe isn't that bent. It's partially because of the
lens that I was using. :) Another tip: PVC doesn't lose it's integrity
when exposed to UV light, but it *can* become more susceptible to stress
fractures. Painting it protects the plastic so that it can be exposed to

Of course, there are some plants that just don't care about watering
systems at all:

I love Opuntia. I just dread the day that I have to package one up to

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10